Saturday, March 28, 2009

Jazz: The Flute

Last year I was privileged to hear the Albany State University Jazz band. The band director's son, stepped in at the second semester to take over the music program at SQHS.

I never really cared for Jazz, at least that is what I always told myself, but while listening to this band, I had to revise that to "I love Jazz", I guess it is because it is so soothing and any music that soothes my soul is my music (don't particular care for rap/hip hop). When I was growing up and in my early adulthood, R & B and Soul was my thing. I have a pretty good size collection of old vinyl albums as well as a good sized CD collection, which is mainly comprised of Soul, R & B, and some soft Rock. I must also admit to liking some country & western music.

Back to the concert, The concert is April 4, 2009 in the ACAD building at Albany State University and features Dr. Decuir who is a flutist and he very good. He played with his students last year and when he began to play, my soul opened up and devoured his music.

People have different ways of handling the stress of living and music is mine. I remember sitting at night listening to the local radio station (WJIZ 96.3) during the Gulf Storm around 12 am each night as people sent request for loved ones fighting. My youngest cousin was over there and we were so worried about his safety and this was one way for me to cope.

I have now lived through one of the most traumatic periods of my life and music also helped me to a degree to cope, because you never get over the death of a loved one who has been your world since your life began. A person who would give up her life for yours, who would do anything so that you don't suffer pain. A person who in lean times would let her children eat first and then she would eat what was left and the food that her young children left on their plates to make sure that their little stomachs were full. A person who never let a hungry person leave her house in the condition they arrived, many had eaten at her table. Each time I have to say it, makes the pain still as fresh today, almost three years, as it was the day she died. I am talking about my mother who was a wonderful Mother, daughter, sister, grandmother, cousin, aunt, and wife. Music helped, but food was a better comfort. All my favorite foods that she cooked, I cooked to bring comfort to a troubled soul and yes, I drank gallons of sweet tea.

Sorry, for getting off topic, right now, I am so excited about hearing the flutist, Dr. Decuir, so that my soul can open up and absorb the soothing sounds of him playing his flute. If you are in the area, come on and join me.

Romaine

No comments: